Since we joined Grey Hares in Fall 2013, we've paddled the Seine four times, but we've never been north of Niakwa Road. So this year we'd like to do the northern-most section. To avoid the portage of the stone bridge in the Windsor Park Golf Course, our "Plan A" launch location is Bleinheim Park at 9:30 AM, which is on the west side of the river, just just north of the golf course (Eggerton Road between Pilgrim Ave & Humboldt Ave). We'll paddle downstream, all the way to the Red River (~9K), then back upstream for 500m to a takeout location near the corner of Rue Maisonneuve & Rue Notre Dame East. We may want to spend a bit of time on the south/east shore of the Red River before paddling back to the takeout spot.
A car shuttle (or bicycle shuttle) will be required. We'll coordinate it via email.
Bring a bagged lunch. We'll determine a possible lunch location during the paddle.
The river is high, so we have confirmed there is adequate clearance under Marion St, Provencher Ave, and the three foot bridges.
If you don’t have a canoe or kayak, don’t worry ... many Grey Hares have a canoe and are looking for a paddling partner. We’re very confident that we can ensure there’s a seat in a canoe for you.
Contact Kevin & Anita Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org to register or if you have questions or comments. Tell us if you have a canoe/kayak, if you've looking for a seat in a canoe, your paddling experience, if you'd like to carpool, etc. We'll send a confirmation email message as registrations are received, and another message with any last-minute updates will be sent to all registrants on Tuesday May 2.
2017-Sep-26 to Sep-28 – Nutimik Lake Camp/Bike/Paddle
We've reserved 4 yurts in the Nutimik Lake campground for the nights of Tue Sep 26 and Wed Sep 27, so this is a 3-day 2-night activity.
Each yurt sleeps a max of 4 people: a double bed on the bottom of a bunk, a twin bed on the top of the bunk, and a futon -- a couple + two individuals. The cost of a yurt for two nights is $123, so the total cost per person will be $31.
As of mid April, 20 Grey Hares had expressed interest in this trip. Commitment (payment) won't be required until early September when cooperative planning begins ... we'll be contacting everyone by September 10. If we end up with >16 people, we’ll deal with it … with tents or trailers on sites near the cluster of yurts. Average temps for Sep 26 to 28 are 3.5° and 15°, which is no problem in a tent for some of us.
Suppers will be cooperative. This is the same arrangement as the Spruce Woods yurt camping trip in early June 2016 that Charles led.
Paddling will be on the Whiteshell River and Nutimik Lake. If you don’t have a canoe or kayak, don’t worry ... many Grey Hares have a canoe and are looking for a paddling partner. We’re very confident that we can ensure there’s a seat in a canoe for you.
Cycling will be on the North Whiteshell Trail (TransCanada Trail) – off-pavement, but a relatively smooth surface. This photo shows a typical trail surface. A map of a sample long bike ride in the area is here. (BTW, the bright green trail on the map is the Pine Point Rapids trail.)
If you don’t think your bike is suitable for this type of trail riding, we can probably get one for you. We own 6 non-road bikes that are suitable, our son has at least 3, we have many extra pair of knobby tires, etc.
We will facilitate carpooling to/from Nutimik Lake / Winnipeg.
- Yurt camping in the autumn with a great group of people.
- Interesting cycling and paddling.
- Pine Point Rapids, Bannock Point Petroforms, Whiteshell Natural History Museum.
Contact Kevin & Anita Miller at email@example.com if you are interested in the this trip or if you have questions or comments. A confirmation reply be sent to you.
- Wednesday 2017-Apr-26 -- Update 2017-May-03 – Paddle the Seine River: There is adequate clearance under all the bridges.
- Thursday 2017-Apr-20 -- Remove all 2016-2017 Fall/Winter/Spring activities. Add 2017-May-03 – Paddle the Seine River and 2017-Sep-26 to Sep-28 – Nutimik Lake Camp/Bike/Paddle.
- Tuesday 2017-Mar-14 -- Change 2017-Mar-22 – Ski at a location with groomed trails to 2017-Mar-22 – Manitoba Museum Guided Tour.
- Friday 2017-Feb-03 -- Cancel 2017-Feb-08 Ski at Sandilands or Pinawa.
- Wednesday 2017-Feb-01 -- Update 2017-Feb-08 Ski at Sandilands or Pinawa.
- Saturday 2016-Dec-17 -- List the three instruction groups for the Cross Country Ski Refresher Course.
- Tuesday 2016-Dec-13 -- Cancel tomorrow's ski at Birds Hill Park because of forecast high windchill.
- Monday 2016-Dec-12 -- Flip-flop the December 14 and December 21 activities.
- Wednesday 2016-Dec-07 -- The major snowfall has guaranteed that the Cross Country Ski Refresher Course is a "go" unless it's very cold..
- Wednesday 2016-Oct-26 -- There are now two Wildwood residents who will be walking with us.
- Saturday 2016-Oct-22 -- Add registration info for Manitoba Electrical Museum, Wildwood Park lunch/walk/discussion with a long-time resident.
- Sunday 2016-Oct-16 -- Add the Cross Country Ski Refresher Course (Dec 14) and the three 2016-2017 skiing activities (Dec 21, Feb 8, Mar 22).
- Thursday 2016-Sep-29 -- Update the Wildwood Park info.
- Friday 2016-Sep-23 -- Change Manitoba Electrical Museum from Oct 26 to Nov 9 and add the Wildwood Park info.
- Friday 2016-Apr-15 -- Add Manitoba Electrical Museum.
- Sunday 2016-Mar-06 -- Cancel the March 23 ski activity.
- Wednesday 2016-Feb-10 -- Ski Camp Morton: The east side trails are definitely not hilly and this was definitely a novice trip, not novice to intermediate.
- Tuesday 2016-Feb-09 -- Add more info about our meeting place for Ski Camp Morton.
- Monday 2016-Feb-08 -- Add updated trail conditions at Camp Morton.
- Tuesday 2016-Feb-02 -- Change Feb 10 from Ski Pinawa or Sandilands to Ski Camp Morton.
- Tuesday 2015-Dec-15
- Thursday 2015-Dec-10
- Monday 2015-Nov-16 -- Add more info about the Cross Country Ski Refresher Course.