March 29 update:
17 Grey Hares are involved in planning this activity.
On Tuesday March 22 we successfully reserved 7 adjacent campsites in the Boulton Creek campground in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park for Mon Jun 22 to Sun Jun 28: sites D-104 to D-110. A map is at https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/6496096/boulton-creek-tear-sheet.pdf .
This is probably one too many campsites, but perhaps someone else will join the trip. Also, it’s easy to cancel one site later and eat the $12 reservation fee, but it’s difficult to add an adjacent campsite later if required.
Monday June 22 to Sunday June 28 (5 nights)
Peter Lougheed Provincial Park in south Kananaskis Country. We are very familiar with this park.
Campsite reservations for Alberta provincial parks open 90 days in advance of arrival date, so (for example) a campsite starting on June 22 could be reserved on March 24.
Trip participants would either provide their own tent, share a tent with someone else, or borrow a tent from us; we have access to a handful of 2 and 3 person tents. Suppers will be not be large group cooperative as they have been during the past few years on 3-day/4-day Grey Hares camping trips, but the group will plan to cook and eat together in-and-around the Grey Hares' large Eureka Northern Breeze kitchen/screen tent.
There are dozens of world class hiking trails in south Kananaskis within an hour drive of Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. A few are within the park, as are dozens of easier hiking and biking trails. We have extensive day hiking experience, including hiking 8 of the iconic trails in south Kananaskis in 2015 and 2016.
We have always hiked with a mid to large sized group for safety reasons. A hiking group must have a minimum of 4 people.
Our hiking philosophy is “slow and steady, safety is priority #1”. The days are long to thoroughly enjoy the entire hike, and we take lots of photos. We have a comprehensive list of items that we always carry in our packs to ensure we are prepared for any weather changes and all potential challenges. Waterproof hiking boots with very good traction and a good rain jacket are required, and hiking poles are highly recommended.
Photos of hiking in south Kananaskis
A campsite is $29 per night. Two tents and two cars are allowed on one site.
Hiking in Kananaskis is free. A provincial park pass is not required.
Plus car travel costs.
Some trip participants are planning to stop at other places during the week before and/or after this trip.
Please contact us.
Kevin & Anita Miller
- Tuesday 2020-Mar17 -- Cancel 2020-Apr-01 – Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre facility tour (John Hirsch Mainstage).
- Sunday 2020-Mar-15 -- Update 2020-Mar-18 – Snowshoe (hike) along the lower Bird River with Nature Manitoba`s COVID-19 info.
- Monday 2020-Jan-27 -- Update 2020-Jan-29 and 2020-Feb-05.
- Monday 2020-Jan-20 -- Update/Add 2020-Jan-29 & 2020-Feb-05 – Ski at Pine Falls & Ski at Agassiz Provincial Forest.
- Thursday 2020-Jan-16 -- Remove the two activities in December 2019.
- Saturday 2019-Oct-12 -- Add 2019-Dec-11 – Cross Country Ski Lessons at the Windsor Park Nordic Centre, three skiing activities, the snowshoeing activity, and the RMTC Tour activity.
- Saturday 2019-Sep-21 -- Add 2019-Oct-02 – Lawn Bowling / Mini Golf / Shuffleboard / Horseshoes.
- Tuesday 2019-Sep-03 -- Update the Paddling section for 2019-Sep-16 Riding Mountain Camping (oTentiks).
- Friday 2019-Aug-23 -- Add 2019-Sep-16 Riding Mountain Camping (oTentiks).
- Wednesday August 7 -- Add 2019-Aug-28 – Paddle Caddy Lake Tunnels ... and more (Tue Aug 27 to Thu Aug 29).
- Friday 2019-Jul-05 -- Remove 2019-Jun-26 – Paddle Netley Creek. Add 2019-Sep-16 Riding Mountain Camping (oTentiks), 2019-Oct-02 Lawn Bowling at Harbour View, 2019-Oct-30 Trail Maintenance Sandilands.
- Thursday 2019-Jun-06 -- For 2019-Jun-26, Paddle Devil's Creek is our Plan A.
- Sunday 2019-Jun-02 -- Add 2019-Jun-26 – Paddle Netley Creek or Devil's Creek.
- Saturday 2019-Apr-20 -- For 2019-Apr-24 Kismet Creek Farm, all recent changes and additions are highlighted in red.
- Friday 2019-Mar-08 -- Add 2019-Mar-13 – Ski at a location to be determined after the forecast snow event on Saturday.
- Sunday 2019-Feb-03 -- Change 2019-Feb-06 – Ski at a location to be announced to 2019-Feb-06 – Snowshoe at Birds Hill Park.
- Wednesday 2018-Dec-19 -- Cancel 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at Burwalde Woods.
- Thursday 2018-Dec-13 -- Change 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at a location with groomed snow to 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at Burwalde Woods.
- Saturday 2018-Nov-10 -- Remove all Spring-Summer-Fall activities.
- Tuesday 2018-Oct-23 evening-- Update to 2018-Oct-31 – Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Monday 2018-Oct-15 -- Add 5 Fall-Winter-Spring Schedule activities 2018-Dec 12, 2018-Dec-19, 2019-Feb-06, 2019-Feb-27, 2019-Apr-24.
- Monday 2018-Oct-15 -- Update the Registration section for 2018-Oct-31 – Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Saturday 2018-Sep 29 -- Update 2018-Oct 17 – Fort Gibraltar Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodière-Gaboury Park with an updated registration date -- see the bold text.
- Sunday 2018-Sep-09 – Add 2018-Sep-26 Paddle the La Salle River from the Red River to La Barriere Park (and return).
- Sunday 2018-Sep-09 -- Add a link to photos of the Tulabi Falls yurts.
- Tuesday 2018-Aug-25 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike: We now have 5 yurts and 21 Grey Hares have expressed interest in this trip.
- Wednesday 2018-Apr-25 -- Update 2018-Oct 17 – Fort Gibraltar Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodière-Gaboury Park with JP Brunet joining us.
- Tuesday 2018-Apr-24 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike: Yurt #6 became available, so I reserved it!
- Saturday 2018-Apr-14 -- Add Fort Gibralter Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodiere-Gaboury Park. Also add Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Saturday 2018-Apr-14 -- Remove both Bicycle Tune-up clinics.
- Tuesday 2018-Apr-10 -- Add "Handlbar & Stem" to the list of topics for the Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Monday 2018-Apr-09 -- Minor updates to Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Monday 2018-Apr-09 -- Add Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Saturday 2018-Mar-24 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike with the "Manitoba Park's rules ..." paragraph in the "... only 12?" section.
- Wednesday 2018-Mar-21 -- Update 2018-Apr-4 – Bike Tune-up Workshop with the location of the workshop and clarification of the registration deadline.
- Tuesday 2018-Mar-20 -- Remove all 2017-2018 Fall/Winter/Spring activities. Add 2018-Sep-18 to Sep-20 – Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike.
- Tuesday 2018-Mar-20 -- Remove 39 entries from Page updates. Create this page on Tuesday 2015-Oct-27