We'll do an out-and-back and exploratory paddle along Devil's Creek, which is located north of Winnipeg, immediately south of Lake Winnipeg near its delta. We could paddle upstream along Devil's Creek from our launch point, and also downstream through Upper Devil Lake into Starr Lake, Cooks Lake, and possibly Boyd Lake, all of which are connected by creeks.
Our Plan B is Paddle Netley Creek, which is also located north of Winnipeg, immediately south of Lake Winnipeg near its delta, but west of the Red River rather than east. We would change to Plan B based on weather conditions or other factors.
Kevin & Anita have not previously paddled in this area, so the actual leadership on the water will be provided by Ed Rajfur. We consulted with Ed and Les McCann to design this activity.
If you don’t have a canoe or kayak, don’t worry ... many Grey Hares have a canoe and are looking for a paddling partner. Also, many Grey Hares have an extra canoe, including Anita ... her aluminum canoe is available for borrowing. Please contact us to help find a partner or a boat.
Launch location and time
The Devil's Creek launch location is on Road 85N, 2.5 km west of PTH 59, a bit SW of Libau.
It is 45 km / 35 minutes north of the North Perimeter & PTH 59.
Please arrive at the launch location at 10:00 AM so we can launch before 10:30.
(BTW: Netley Creek -- Plan B -- is at the northern end of Manitoba Provincial Road 320, 52 km / 40 minutes north of the North Perimeter & PTH 59. Map).
Meeting location/time and carpooling
(We've decided to meet at the launch site.)
For a paddling activity, carpooling is fairly straightforward because of the requirement to carry kayaks or a canoe. You usually travel in the car that is carrying the boat you'll be paddling, and it's usually two people per car, but there are exceptions (which we can help facilitate or solve). You can chose to drive directly to the launch location, or you can meet with us at the Tim Hortons on Lagimodière Blvd at Headmaster Row at 9:15 AM.
Our paddling route / Lunch
We’ll probably paddle upstream for as far as we can go before the creek becomes impassable, then reverse downstream and eat at the launch point or maybe further downstream at a location somewhere on the shore, hopefully near noon. But maybe we'll be able to paddle fairly far upstream and want to eat at a location somewhere on the shore along that part of the creek.
There probably won't be any along our paddling route ... other than in the bush. If you know of any, please tell us.
If Wednesday's weather forecast (issued on Tuesday afternoon) is for a rain day and/or excessive wind, we'd cancel this activity. We'll also check Wednesday morning's 5:00 AM weather forecast.
Contact Kevin & Anita Miller at email@example.com to register or if you have questions or comments. A confirmation email message will be sent as registrations are received, and another message with final info will be sent to all registrants on the Tuesday.
21 people have registered for this activity as of Tuesday June 25 at noon.
- Thursday 2019-Jun-06 -- For 2019-Jun-26, Paddle Devil's Creek is our Plan A.
- Sunday 2019-Jun-02 -- Add 2019-Jun-26 – Paddle Netley Creek or Devil's Creek.
- Saturday 2019-Apr-20 -- For 2019-Apr-24 Kismet Creek Farm, all recent changes and additions are highlighted in red.
- Friday 2019-Mar-08 -- Add 2019-Mar-13 – Ski at a location to be determined after the forecast snow event on Saturday.
- Sunday 2019-Feb-03 -- Change 2019-Feb-06 – Ski at a location to be announced to 2019-Feb-06 – Snowshoe at Birds Hill Park.
- Wednesday 2018-Dec-19 -- Cancel 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at Burwalde Woods.
- Thursday 2018-Dec-13 -- Change 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at a location with groomed snow to 2018-Dec-19 – Ski at Burwalde Woods.
- Saturday 2018-Nov-10 -- Remove all Spring-Summer-Fall activities.
- Tuesday 2018-Oct-23 evening-- Update to 2018-Oct-31 – Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Monday 2018-Oct-15 -- Add 5 Fall-Winter-Spring Schedule activities 2018-Dec 12, 2018-Dec-19, 2019-Feb-06, 2019-Feb-27, 2019-Apr-24.
- Monday 2018-Oct-15 -- Update the Registration section for 2018-Oct-31 – Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Saturday 2018-Sep 29 -- Update 2018-Oct 17 – Fort Gibraltar Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodière-Gaboury Park with an updated registration date -- see the bold text.
- Sunday 2018-Sep-09 – Add 2018-Sep-26 Paddle the La Salle River from the Red River to La Barriere Park (and return).
- Sunday 2018-Sep-09 -- Add a link to photos of the Tulabi Falls yurts.
- Tuesday 2018-Aug-25 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike: We now have 5 yurts and 21 Grey Hares have expressed interest in this trip.
- Wednesday 2018-Apr-25 -- Update 2018-Oct 17 – Fort Gibraltar Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodière-Gaboury Park with JP Brunet joining us.
- Tuesday 2018-Apr-24 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike: Yurt #6 became available, so I reserved it!
- Saturday 2018-Apr-14 -- Add Fort Gibralter Tour, Walk Whittier Park and/or Lagimodiere-Gaboury Park. Also add Scavenger Hunt at The Forks.
- Saturday 2018-Apr-14 -- Remove both Bicycle Tune-up clinics.
- Tuesday 2018-Apr-10 -- Add "Handlbar & Stem" to the list of topics for the Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Monday 2018-Apr-09 -- Minor updates to Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Monday 2018-Apr-09 -- Add Bicycle Tune-up Skills Clinic.
- Saturday 2018-Mar-24 -- Update Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike with the "Manitoba Park's rules ..." paragraph in the "... only 12?" section.
- Wednesday 2018-Mar-21 -- Update 2018-Apr-4 – Bike Tune-up Workshop with the location of the workshop and clarification of the registration deadline.
- Tuesday 2018-Mar-20 -- Remove all 2017-2018 Fall/Winter/Spring activities. Add 2018-Sep-18 to Sep-20 – Tulabi Falls Camp/Paddle/Hike.
- Tuesday 2018-Mar-20 -- Remove 39 entries from Page updates.
Create this page on Tuesday 2015-Oct-27